Monday, May 11, 2015

Dad's Plaids

My Dad died 7 days after his 96th birthday, 5 days before Thanksgiving, and a month before Christmas, 2014. One way I was able to begin to work through my loss was by using some of Dad's clothes to create small gifts for family members. I called the gifts Dad's Plaids.

This was a very truncated form of traditional Victorian Mourning Quilts, which were memorials for loved ones with elaborate embroidery or delicate piecing. Seems that women have been using their hands and resources at hand to express that certain mix of love and sadness that leaves one feeling both extremely empty and incredibly heavy all at the same time. Weighed down and empty.

I received permission from my stepmother Alma to take some of Dad's clothes. No explanation asked or given; she gave me full access to a closet-full of khaki slacks, plaid shirts, lounge pants, solid pajamas, and ties. At home, I set the ties aside; then I washed and dried all the clothes. Next step was what I call 'cannibalizing' the clothes--deconstructing each item to maximize the amount of fabric that I'll have on hand. Pockets, collars, belt loops, cuffs, shirt backs and fronts, pants legs--all cut apart and laid flat to be used for various simple projects. Trouser and shirt buttons were clipped and saved too.

Dad's Plaids Birds

Here are some little fabric birds for girl gifts.

Each is made from three layers of fabric, the tip of a tie, and a button.
The bird is outline-stitched by machine.
Then edges are snipped for a ragged finish.
Finally a wing is hand-sewn in place with a button.
A gift card is looped over the wing with a thin strip of yet another plaid.

So many pretty blue birds!
In hindsight, I should have attached a loop of ribbon
so that the bird could be hung on a Christmas tree or door knob.

 
Dad's Plaids Pillow
 
Twelve of Dad's ties became a pillow. The pillow back is khaki pant fabric.
I gave this pillow to my brother and sister-in-law.
After all, Dad taught Doug how to tie and tie.
 
 Dad's Plaids Key Fobs

With the addition of a metal key ring,
these strips of layered plaids and khaki
were sewn by machine into sturdy key fobs for the guys.
I'll show you the gift cards close-up in a minute.


Dad's Plaids Snake!

This fun idea came from several Pinterest posts.
One scaley looking tie is filled with a combo
of batting and plastic beads (used in doll-making).
It makes him moldable right down to his rattling tail.
Lots of hand stitching secures the beads inside.
Buttons and a length of gold ric-rac make just the right expression.


His tail:
knot + large jingle bell + knot + jingle bell + knot
Our 3 year-old grandson loves his snake
from "Puppy Ball" aka PawPaw Bill.

Dad's Plaids Gift Tags

Publisher helped me make these small gift tags from cardstock.
Each was personalized with a name and attached with a thin strip of plaid fabric.


Dad's Plaids Picture Frames
How could I not get pictures of these?!?! They were gifts for some of Dad and Alma's married grandchildren and great grandchildren. I cut foam core 'frames' and then wrapped strips of plaid fabrics around to cover completely. Guess you'll have to trust me--they're cute!


Dad's Plaids Tote

This tote is made from two shades of khakis, a pretty blue plaid dress shirt, and ties.
I gave it to Alma to replace the paper gift bag she used to carry important papers
to doctors' appointments. It's big enough to accommodate a couple of folders,
and has handles long enough to throw on the shoulder. 
When I gave it to her, Alma looked and said, "That's nice."
I asked if she knew what it was, and she said, "It's a tote bag."
I paused. She stared at it. Then realized,
"Oh! It's made out of Bill's clothes!!"
She hugged it to her chest and smiled.
Now everyone closest to my Dad--Alma, all the kids, grandkids, great-grands, spouses of kids and grands--everyone has a little reminder of him and his love. Dad's Plaids.

No comments:

Post a Comment