Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Happy Fall, Y'all

Wow! It's one of those painfully beautiful Texas Fall days. Huge blue sky. Bright sun. Fresh (read absent of humidity) air.  I love Fall.

When the first "cold front" blows this far south, I'm in heaven.  The temps may drop 30 degrees or more in a day's time--sometimes within hours.  Standing outside, I can literally feel the change from one breeze to the next.  Overhead, I distinguish the puppy-like sounds of migrating geese; and even before spotting their undulating vee, I weep grateful tears for this demonstration of God's faithfulness.  Hello again!

When it's time to sow, I like to sow.  Brimming springtime gardens are a real joy.  Working my hands through friable warm soil, I almost drool from the aroma!  Varied spicy orange, lemon yellow, and shady purple blooms take off for a full 6-8 month frolic.  And then, as the days become imperceptibly shorter, nature slows down.  Fruitful summer annuals finish their jobs and just get tired.

It's time to reap.  Once colorful blooms are transformed to spike dry clusters of seeds and crinkly khaki leaves.  The bird's nest is vacant in its evergreen highrise.  Berries begin to blush from twiggy holly and yaupon.  Once a bustling bristle of buzzy hornets, a paper fist of empty hexagons clings to its leafless branch.  Monarchs and hummingbirds stop for short busy visits on their way to Central America.  Grasses shoot up plumes of feathery beige or clouds of purple as soft as the sunset sky.   
I love Fall.











   

No comments:

Post a Comment