Sunday, December 18, 2011

It Takes a Village


Here are some pictures of this year's Christmas at the Bingham house.  We're anticipating a visit from our niece Marisa, her husband Chris, and their two little girls Zoe (4) and Mia (2).  Our great nieces will be spending their first American Christmas when they arrive from their home in Brussels, Belgium.  They'll be staying with their Nana and DoDo in Bellaire, but I hope they'll be able to come spend some time with Aunt Sandy and Uncle Steve.  So, I decorated the house with little people in mind.

The village that belonged to Steve's mother Joy now takes center stage on our dining room table.  I wanted it to be magical.  See the snowflakes and gold doves suspended above from the chandelier?



The Christmas Village is so much fun for me.  It reminds me of my Grandmother "Bunny Bumps'" tree at their home on Edloe Street in Southside Place, Houston.  Here's a picture of my brothers and me under that tree in 1950.


Gradfather Kenney Voelkel, Bill, Doug, me and our Dad
under Bunny Bumps' tree.  Christmas 1950
Bunny Bumps' tree was filled with red lights, red glass balls, and those heavy old wonderful icicles.  She elevated the tree on boxes covered with cotton 'snow' and micah glitter.  All under the tree, nestled in the snow, was a little log cabin, a mirror lake with a couple of skaters, and Santa complete with sleigh and 8 tiny reindeer.  The cabin had a little light inside.  For me as a young child, it was pure magic.  The tree towered overhead, icicles shimmering.  I would lay there on the floor in the light of the tree and imagine that I was part of this little snowy village scene.

And now, there's an inherited Snow Village that we've 'borrowed' from Steve Jr. for a few years.  All the ceramic houses except for the greenhouse are lit from within.  The dimmed chandelier casts a full moon glow over the scene at night or on cloudy days.  It's one of my favorite parts of Christmas time.



Love the way the snowflakes seem suspended in a freeze frame above the little town.


Children build a snowman by the
Greenhouse with Steve's red pick-up parked outside



The Church sits right in the middle of the village.
This year I found a Nativity to set out in front of the Church.


Lights are on at dusk as kitty checks out the trash can behind the house.


At dusk, Deer wander in the snowy meadow between two houses.


Santa loves riding on his "Rein Deer" Tractor!




Is there magic in that old silk hat?


The Village Inn has put their Giant Nutcracker out to greet visitors.

I wonder if Bunny Bumps and Joy realized what lovely memories they created and pass down with their Christmas Villages . . .  I hope that Zoe and Mia will be able to tuck this memory away in their hearts when they come to visit this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment