Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Family-arity: A Gift

By the time Tuesday rolled around, the wedding travelers had spent 7 days together.  With all kinds of mutual experiences under our belts, the Beatty/Bingham family had absorbed a few new members.  Familiarity breeds . . .
. . . teasing . . .

. . . laughing . . .

. . . and relaxing rocks in the rede.

Anna and Jo loved meeting each other.

Doug made a happy face in his Batata Baroa Soup.

Anna and Troy, friends from Los Angeles,
had two more days to visit
before heading home to Sweden.

When Iris showed up in her purple sweater,
Cecilia had to get hers too!
Tuesday was departure day for Jo and John, so as the Gringo Delegation rambled into the apartment, the Mondays parked their luggage against the dining room wall and began their last day in Brasil ("for this trip," they said).  The Gringo Delegation wanted to go one last time to Beira Mar.  The cafe serves Afternoon Tea with a wonderful buffet of sweets and savories every day.  This gray, drizzly, cool fall day seemed perfect for such a treat.  We walked the familiar block and lined up tables in a large corner for Jo and John's farewell get-together.
(l, front to back) the Gringa, Helio, Joao, Troy, Will
(r, front to back) John, Jo, Doug, Anna, Iris
at Beira Mar for a High Tea send-off for Jo and John

Nara smiled blurry proof that Daniel did sleep sometimes!
Dora and Nara had made their way to Beira Mar to find farewell gifts for the Mondays and me.  We just happened to arrive at the same time, and were grateful for a few more minutes together over our plates of sweets and sandwiches.

When I arrived in Brasil in January, I had heard the story of Dora's friendship with Nara.  Nara's husband was Dora's husband's professor in medical school; they met as young married couples more than 38 years ago.  The couples moved from Brasil to Colorado so that the teacher and his brilliant collegue could undertake medical research there.  It was there in Denver that Cecilia was born, with Nara in attendance. 

Dora and Nara are as close as sisters--so close that Cecilia and her siblings refer to Nara as Tia Narinha.  I was excited for the best friends to meet my best friend Jo.  Jo and Nara are both librarians.  Combined, the four of us treasure approximately 85 years of close friendship.  Dora told me, "Jo is your Nara.  Nara is my Jo."
Jo and me, Dora and Nara

Farewell Hugs
Until we're all back in Houston . . .
When Jo and John Monday arrived at Cecilia and Will's apartment 6 days before, I was sick enough not to be hugging anyone.  Can I tell you how hard it was to refrain from embracing?!  We kept looking at each other and keeping our distance, but reaching out for little pats.  Jo came to sit in my room when I would retreat to calm my cough.  We had months of First-Time Grandmother stories to share--her twin grandboys were born just a month before Daniel.  John said it seemed so strange to be seeing both Sugar Loaf and me in the same place.  I agreed.  It was odd for me to hear such familiar voices in this new place.

How grateful I am for the week we shared in Brasil!  John wanted to hold Daniel from the get-go, and enjoyed lots of time with his new little buddy.  Jo hugged and talked to Daniel just the way she cuddled Daniel's daddy and uncle over 30 years before.  Jo and John stole the hearts of Dora, Alice, Olga and Carlos. And the feeling was mutual.

On Saturday, at the wedding reception, Jo had given me a gift.  She said she and her cousin Dale had found it some time ago.  She wanted me to open it right there under the giant mango tree in Olga and Carlos' back yard in Itaipu.  A bright cloth sack held a necklace with three bronze charms:  a small round disc embossed with the shape of a tree; a rectangle that framed the word STRENGTH; and a large round disc with words written in French.  Ne comptez pas les jours, C'est le jour qui compte.  It was a phrase that resonated with my heart.  "Don't count the days.  This is the day that counts."

Jo's gift became my instructions for the final days of my visit.
"Don't count the days.  This is the day that counts."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment