Saturday, December 28, 2013

Christmas Snapshots

I deliberately chose not to use my camera this year at our family Christmas party.  See, when I get behind my camera, in some way I feel disconnected from the scene that I'm capturing.  I become objective.  People feel awkward.  This year I fought the urge to snap.

Instead, I took pictures with the camera of my heart.  Want to see?

Visitors from the East . . . and West
Steve and I packed the sleigh with our contributions of food and gifts, and made our way to the party destination:  Bellaire Texas, the home of my brother and sister-in-law Doug and Iris.  The hub of Christmas was abuzz when we arrived.  Tipper the dog rolled over and let us scratch her shaggy blonde belly as soon as we walked through the door.  Our next delight was a lingering hug from our niece Marisa, who had arrived 3 days earlier from Switzerland with her husband Chris, and two daughters Zoe and Mia.  Marisa's big smile and warm hazel eyes are now framed with thick, long, salt and pepper hair--a genetic gift from the Beatty side of the family.  As Doug and Iris' eldest, Marisa is only 6 weeks older than our Steve Jr.  They are so close in age; plus we also had the amazing gift of living in the same part of town throughout their lives before college.  Though M and her family now live in Europe, and we visit in person once a year, our lives will always be deeply connected.

Chris greeted us with hugs, smiles, his wonderful Swiss accent, and clear blue eyes.  He was in the kitchen, trying to find room in the refrigerator for one. more. dish.  But since we had no previous reservation for a space, there was no room in the inn.  Chris' best suggestion was outside on the shady picnic table.  Though they were just 3 days off their trans-Atlantic flight, Chris said everyone was doing pretty well and sharing the gift of jet lag with Iris and Doug.

There were other visitors to greet from the West and East.  Our nephew Douglas (aka Uncle Junior) had arrived from California on Christmas Eve.  A dark-haired version of his Dad, Douglas is a freelance photographer/videographer/producer/director (I think?) in Los Angeles.  He has a quiet laugh and a deep love for his two Swiss nieces.  The feeling is obviously quite mutual.  He will color and stamp purple and pink images with the girls for hours.  He also enjoys accompanying the Zoe and Mia when they take puppy Tipper for long adventures around the neighborhood.

Cousins Doug and Steve--the two juniors--were great kitchen assistants for Iris as they caught up on their lives over a beer and Empanadas.  These two are cut from the same personality cloth.

The last of the visitors from the East was Janusz--Mia's godfather--who lives in New York City.  If we met there at Marisa and Chris's wedding, I don't remember.  I actually thought that Janusz must be a friend from Brussels where the Konig Beatty's lived after marrying in the states.  But I learned that he and M were friends before Chris, and that they met in "the arts" post-college in NYC.  With a wonderfully exotic name like Janusz, he surprised me when he told me he was born in Kansas.  Who knew?!  What a nice guy.

How Did You Already Know . . .?
Next I was able to re-introduce myself to Zoe and Mia--my great nieces.  The two sailed and floated into the living room.  With big eyes they stood some distance away by the Christmas tree and quietly listened as I told them that I was Auntie Sandy.  That was the last quiet moment of the day.  We got to know each other over a tray of snow people that I brought to the party.  These funny rice-filled sock snowmen are dressed in Christmas sweaters and hats.  They make perfect projectiles to lob over the couch.  All brought to a crescendo by DJ Zoe who cranked up The Muppets' Christmas Album (yes, an actual 33 1/3 LP album!) to an uncomfortably club-worthy volume.

Six year-old Zoe Konig Beatty is a perfect blend of both Konig and Beatty.  Long legs, round freckle-face, and dark coppery highlights in her straight brown hair.  Try to take a picture of Zoe, and you'll end up with her mischievous eyes crossed and tongue at some odd angle.  Not unlike her mother Marisa as a child, fearless Zoe is likely to be found hanging upside-down from someone or climbing atop something.  She's a prolific artist.  Her Nana Iris receives each creation lovingly and listens to the explanation carefully before displaying it in a special spot.

Four year-old Mia is a mini-Marisa in facial features and physical build.  Mia has green eyes that don't miss a thing.  The only difference between the two is that Mia's soft curls are a lighter shade of brown.  She is mostly a quiet little sister who is willing to go with the flow; but sometimes she's chagrined enough to offer a secret pinch here or there.  While Mia sat on the couch next to me, Zoe spoke up from across the room, "Auntie Sandy, do you know how old I am?"  I replied, "Yes, I do!  You are six years old."  She seemed very surprised.  Then Mia followed with a question.  "Do you know how old I am?"  I responded with a nod, "You are four years old." 

Mia looked up at me and wondered, "How do you already know how old I am?"  I explained that I was their Mommy's aunt and their aunt too.  "Even though I live far away from you in Texas, I still love you both and hear stories about you and Zoe all the time from your Mommy and Nana."  I told her that I had seen pictures of her fairy princess birthday party in November.  Mia informed me that her party was after her birthday this year.  And I reminded her that last year we all celebrated both Zoe's and her birthdays early when they came to Texas for Thanksgiving.

Empanadas, Salpicon, and Trifle--Oh, My! 
Iris had invited everyone to share at least one dish for our Christmas Dinner that reminded us of Christmas 'back home.'  You see, 'back home' around this family table means Argentina (Iris), Brazil (Cecilia), South Africa (Steve Sr.), Switzerland (Chris), as well as Texas.

We relished appetizers which included both beef and chicken Empanadas (Argentina) as well as a Swiss treat of cold smoked salmon on bread with four choices of accompanying spreads.  (Wish I had paid attention to the Swiss name.)  My favorite was the creamy dill sauce, BTW. 

Cecilia and Will arrived with arms full of Daniel, food, and other gifts just as the grill was ready.

When dinner was served, Cecilia and Will represented Brazil with Salpicon--a cold chicken salad with all kinds of chopped deliciousness (chicken, ham, apple, carrots, corn, golden raisins, olives, hearts of palm) topped with potato sticks.  Brazil and Argentina found their way on the plate again with the most beautifully grilled steaks you ever put in your mouth.  Steve Jr. complimented grill master Iris--"Like Buttah, these steaks!"  Humble green beans were the Texas rep for the meal.

In addition to the dozens of sweets that Iris's students had given their piano teacher for the holiday, I made a traditional English Trifle from Steve's mother's recipe.  Although she was a native Houstonian, she married South African Jack Bingham and my Steve was born there in Durban.  Wine-soaked lady fingers covered with raspberry jam provide the 'crust' for layers of vanilla custard, mixed fresh berries, and slivered almonds.  Cecilia's cappuccinos all around, and we were all ready for gurneys of some kind.

Daniel wanted pomegranate seeds and potato sticks for lunch.  Can you say Antioxidants?

Soccer and the Hokey Pokey
After lunch we all (including young Daniel) fought the urge to nap.  That would have been bedtime for the European delegation, since 3 in the Texas afternoon is 10 in the Swiss evening.  So instead of commandeering the closest couch, we all went out into the back yard for some fresh air and a little activity.  Some of the 'old folks' opted for chairs on the deck.  For those who ventured into the yard, Daniel's junior-sized soccer ball seemed to be the connecting sports link between all the represented nations.  It was a lively round of dribbles and passes that whiled away the time with Steve Jr., Will, Cecilia, Chris, Marisa, Janusz, Daniel, Zoe, and me.  In typical fashion there was at least one Will antic that doubled all of us over laughing with tears streaming down our cheeks.  Get me trying to ask, "Will, are you okay?" between fits of uncontrollable laughter . . .

When we tired of soccer, there was a huge exercise ball that came into play.  Then Marisa found The Hokey Pokey on her IPod.  Zoe, Chris, Marisa, Janusz, and I were able to affirm truly "That's what it's all about!"  (BTW, I think Doug was filming our dance.  Now you may realize yet another reason I didn't include pictures in this blog post.  Who wants to see a 64 year-old "put her back side in and shake it all about"?!?)  I understand that laughter is a great aid to digestion.  If that's the case, we were well set after our time outside.

The Twelve Days of Christmas
This year seemed a great time to share a Bingham tradition with yet another generation.  Every year, my favorite gift for Christmas is from Steve.  When I can coax my shy man to sing The Twelve Days of Christmas in his best Donald Duck voice, it's magic.  So with everyone gathered around the tree, Steve tuned up and sang his little a capella heart out.  The best part of the song is, of course, FIVE GOL-DEN RIIIINGS!!! sung with great drama and gusto.  He's so funny; it warms my heart.  As we all sang along, Zoe, Mia, and Daniel were enthralled, and Cecilia finally got to experience the song first-hand as well.

Handmade Love
While Pocoyo's Train and Mega Blocks were being assembled, there were wonderful handmade gifts being offered.  Cecilia and Will made and gave baskets with beribboned jars of homemade Doce de Leite, Cappuccino Mix, and Lemon Sugar Hand Scrub.  We had already enjoyed the yummy cappuccinos that C served us after dinner.  (Chris was especially glad to get a jar of the mix.)

Marisa entered the room with delicate balls of moss and twine from which sprung small trailing plants.  She explained that these were Japanese String Gardens that she had learned to make back home in Switzerland.  She's seen orchids and other plants grown this way, suspended by ribbons or jute twine.  I picked a variegated ivy, and can't wait to find the perfect indoor spot for it.

We who don't have return flights to catch in a few days (with restrictions on food, liquids and live plants) are now the proud recipients of wonderful homemade love gifts.  Lucky us!

Hi!
At some point in the late afternoon, everyone was settling into this chair or that couch, and the house was full of that wonderful hum of familiar conversation.  Daniel had been absorbed in his new toys and had probably traveled halfway around the world with Pocoyo's Train.  He and I came standing face to kneecap.  He looked up to see who was attached to yet another pair of legs, and recognized me.  With a happy smile, he said, "Hi!"  I responded, "Well, Hi, Daniel!"  Then he just walked on.  Such a little moment.  But this GiGi's heart is full of little moments.

Dancing with Michael Jackson
As the day wound down and we were packing up for the trip home, someone found Michael Jackson's song Smooth Criminal.  If you've read my blog, you know our Daniel loves to dance along with Moco Dancing with a Hat, as he calls it.  So here's pink and white floral Zoe, purple and pink knit Mia, and blue and green flannel Daniel dancing around the living room--jiggling and giggling with each other.  What a joy to see the three new cousins making real connections and memories, even at 22 months, 4, and 6 years of age.

Maybe pictures will follow.  But until then, I'll ponder all these things in my heart.

2 comments:

  1. What beautiful pictures of a blessed evening! And will last forever in your heart!
    Merry Christmas to you Sandy, HeyYea, uncle Steve, Iris and Doug, John and Jo Monday!
    Love and joy <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Flora. I'd love to see pictures of your family. Cecilia tells me Fito is growing and really active now. Happy New Year to everyone in Brasil!

      Delete