Sunday, April 15, 2012

Daniel's Magic Socks

Hi!  It's Daniel here in the Rainforest.
I want to take a break from playing with my crazy frog and orange monkey
to tell you the story of my magic socks.


Once upon a time, when I was born, it was summer in Brasil.
I clapped my bare feet for Dad.

It was hot.  And so was I.
My Mommy and Dad called me a furnace--whatever that means.
To keep me from being covered in prickly heat rash, they dressed me in short-sleeved Onesies.
They used a gauzy blanket to cover me up when I slept,
which was hardly ever.

My GiGi even cut the sleeves off of one of my long-sleeved Onesies.
She called it my "Wife Beater"--guess that's a Texas term.
So, I was barefoot all the time when I was very small.  My Vovo Dora kept telling Mommy and Dad that I was cold.  "He needs socks and pants!  Where's his blanket?"  Mommy tried to do that.  I just got hotter and madder.  After that Mommy had to put this powder all over my face.  She called it "corn starch."  Dad said I looked like "a mime."  Again, who knows what all these words mean?

When they took me for walks in the neighborhood, Mommy and Dad got all kinds of advice from ladies who were sure I was underdressed and too small to be outside anyway.  "How many clothes do you need to wear when it's 89 degrees with 100% humidity?"  I don't know what that means either, but that's what Dad kept saying.
So I was barefoot in Brasil, and cool with that.
I mean, my feet were warm enough.
But I was still pretty fussy sometimes.

One night after my bath and a good meal, Mommy said it was time for bed.  BUT, I wouldn't settle down.  Mommy was tired and hungry, so I had a date with my GiGi.

GiGi rocked.
GiGi danced with me.
GiGi swaddled me.  That made me so mad!
I hate to have my arms locked down.
GiGi shushed.
GiGi sang about Jesus.
GiGi held me ever' which way but loose, and nothing made me happy.
I'm pretty stubborn like that.  GiGi says I get it from my Dad.

These are my magic socks.
Then GiGi did something new.  She laid me on my changing table and put something on my feet.

I liked it.  GiGi called these my magic socks.

I was so happy.  I went right to sleep.












Now I always have on socks.
I sleep in my magic socks.
I eat in my magic socks.
I smile and play in my magic socks.
I cry and rock in the rede in my magic socks.
Even when it's hot.
I like the way they feel on my feet!

GiGi told me a story about baseball players who wear the same socks for months without washing them because they bring good luck.  She says that I should change my socks sometimes.  When I have a bath, or have a diaper explosion, I let them put clean socks on my big Texas feet.  But I like my socks.  They're magic.

My magic socks help me sleep and play.


New socks are big enough for my Texas feet.

Tie-dye and Elephants

The Original Magic Socks

Vovo Dora gave me these
so I could support her favorite soccer team.
And they all slept happily ever after.



Well, . . . not yet.               Have you seen any magic knee socks?

2 comments:

  1. so glad you found a solution.what a discovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every once in a while, we stumble on something that works!

      Delete