Thursday, February 9, 2012

TRAVEL TIP

How's that Portuguese thing working?

Rosetta Stone Level One was a really good introduction. As I've mentioned before, three months of online lessons have given me a very basic knowledge of vocabulary and the sound of the language. Then there's the actual speaking part . . .

I've mustered up the words to order water at several cafes.
"Eu quer agua."
This is always met with a waiter's puzzled expression. Honestly, I didn't realize my 'accent' was that off. It's actually gotten to be a joke with my tablemates.

TRAVEL TIP: Go everywhere with native speakers! They can explain to wait staff that it's your first time in Brasil, you're learning and want to try ordering yourself. With that knowledge, the waiter is usually very patient.

I've practiced the answer to the cashier's query "Credito o debito?"
When I pass her my debit card, I respond, "Debito." And gratefully, that seems to work okay.

TRAVEL TIP: Use plastic for the easiest transactions, but again--go everywhere with native speakers.

I had a brief lesson in Brazilian currency with Cecilia and Will before boarding the bus with them. I wanted to practice paying our fares, in case I needed to ride by myself to the Maternity Hospital at some point in the very near future. Will even gave me the exact phrase to say when I handed the R$10 to the driver; and I knew exactly what the change should look like.
"Estou pagando para tres." (I'm paying for three.) Again, the studied stare as he interpreted my gestures and looked at the bill I gave him. What he said next led me to believe I needed to sit down until he got the correct change for me. So I tried to go through the red turnstile to sit next to Cecilia. No go. The turnstile was locked. People have lined up behind me on the steps, just waiting with their bus cards or exact R$2,75 fare; and here's the Gringa holding the bus for R$1,75 in change. Will was behind me, and was able to reconfirm that we should all sit down without our change at that point. The driver allowed passage through the turnstile, and, red-faced, I dove into the seat next to Daniel's Mommy.

TRAVEL TIP: Use exact change whenever possible. Clerks, bus drivers, cashiers--all of them frown on breaking a bill. Some will actually refuse to take a large bill for a small purchase.

TRAVEL TIP: It's lots more fun to go everywhere with native speakers that you love.

1 comment:

  1. Sandy I love the view God is offering for Daniel to witness. ( even though he may not really see it, but I think God will give him a peek) Speaking of Daniel- where is that boy? We keep praying for him and Cecilia, and waiting for the special call or text.I owe you a long email about Sac and other topics. I will try to do that this week. I love you and it seems like you are "at home" in your new town. I miss you very much. I love you. Josie

    ReplyDelete