Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day

Happy [American] Valentine's Day, everyone!

Last week I finally made it to the Post Office to buy stamps for Valentine cards that I had purchased and addressed before leaving the States. I'm quite certain that the cards will not be arriving today, so I want to send my love while waiting for international snail mail to catch up.

When Cecilia and I arrived at the Icarai neighborhood Post Office here in Niteroi, we took our place in front of a middle-aged female clerk who was eager to help, even in her post-lunch "It sure would be nice to take a nap" demeanor. Cecilia explained that I needed to purchase stamps in order to send Valentine cards to the United States. A puzzled expression led me to remember that Brasil's Valentine's Day celebration is later in the year. Cecilia explained that the US celebrates on February 14th, and that I would be needing to mail 5 cards.

I missed the next part of the conversation, but C filled me in later.  The clerk was taken aback that I would be sending cards to five different Valentines.  Cecilia explained to me that in Brasil, Valentine's Day is only for lovers, not for children, friends, family, etc.  No wonder the lady raised her eyebrows and looked at me askance!

Also, as she was taking inventory of the stamps she had, she told us that she was going to give us some "pretty ones."  Proudly she handed over enough postage for each of the envelopes, which included two of these for each card:

"Pretty" Zombie Manicurist . . . ?


Cecilia and I were wondering
if she could have just given us some ugly ones . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment