Sunday, June 3, 2012

Empty Room, Full Heart

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 sneaked up and pounced.

Like nearly every other night, there was laundry to do on this Tuesday.  Back in my favorite retreat, I processed three loads.  Black leggings hung with petite skinny jeans and a dark tee or two.  Dish towels that chefs and kitchen fairies had used to make meals magically appear and dirty dishes disappear were pinned in place.  And, last to go in was an overnight Daily Daniel Load: colorful Onesies, knit pants with a monkey applique on the butt, gauzy blankets with aqua elephants or brown gold lions, stretch terry hooded towels, wash cloths, and lots of magic socks.  (Over the past weeks I had learned it was good to have a load ready to dry first thing each morning.)

The Gringa waltzed from washer and secadora to my room, where there was 105 days of life to pack.  Jo had given me a book of quotes on Friendship, which I had looked at every day.  My go-to quote was "Friends are a lot like thighs.  They always stick together."  That was the story of my life in Brasil--literally and figuratively!  While carefully stuffing my MOG dress, shoes, and accessories in a suitcase, I remembered what a personal victory it was to shop for those things on my own.

I had managed 105 days with 3 pairs of pants, a skirt, 2 dresses, and a dozen tops, along with 4 pairs of shoes and the Havaianas that Daniel gave me.  Traveling light had its benefits when it came to packing.  All my health and beauty supplies had run low or out--just as I had hoped.  In went the Bible Study workbooks and word puzzles (that I never had a moment to sit down to), along with a little notebook that held penciled recipes found on the internet.  Banana Banana Bread, Bread Pudding, Cornbread, Dairy-Free Cream of Brocolli Soup, Cowboy Cookies, and Vegan Olive Tapenade.  Each recipe held new memories of a family meal, or a search for non-dairy foods that wouldn't upset Daniel's new tummy, or a party, or a way to use products purchased for the shape of the clear jar that carried them.

I savored every 'last' thing I did from Tuesday night through the pre-dawn hours of Wednesday.  Last time I'd listen to my favorite Houston radio station on my iPad.  Last night in this bed.  Last run through this shower with its smooth-gliding, heavy glass door and rainhead shower.  Last night sleeping with my companions--oscillating fan at the foot of my twin bed, and iPhone clock next to my pillow.  Last night to hear Cecilia quietly close the kitchen door for a midnight bowl of cereal.  Last night for me to listen to Daniel's fussy calls and almost immediate silent comfort from Mommy.  The Gringa determined to let thankfulness override sadness.  I kept thinking about the wisdom embossed on the necklace Jo gave me: "Don't count the days--this is the day that counts." 

What a remarkable adventure!!  My friend John Monday commented that I was "really brave" to do this thing--leave home and country "all by myself" for more than 3 months.  I didn't think myself brave at all.  First of all, I wasn't "all by myself."  Cecilia and Will were wonderful companions.  And God was so close through every day and night.  Secondly, wave a son's wedding and arrival of first grandson in front of my face, and see how many milliseconds it takes me to get a plane reservation and visa, and pack those bags!

The 3 big black bags that I checked through to Brasil in January
were just about empty for the trip home in May.
The two large suitcases, large duffle, rolling carry-on with backpack, and cardboard box that accompanied me in January were mostly unnecessary now.  I reconfigured the luggage like a nesting Russian Dolls toy:  carry-on with backpack went inside duffle which went inside one large suitcase.  All the Gringa's clothes and other stuff fit in the other suitcase.  I would just carry my purse with travel documents and i's set on airplane mode.  The room where I had blogged, folded clothes, slept, relaxed, cried, and prayed for the past 15 weeks looked as empty as my return luggage.  But my heart was full.

Why was Spanish language programming already on the iPad Houston station?!  That comes on at some unreal hour of the morning.  Oh! It really is 3 AM.  Lights out, Gringa!!  To start my last day in Brasil, I fell asleep to the sound of the washer still humming and chugging through the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment