Friday, May 3, 2013

Divine Invitation

Yesterday when I glanced out the window into the back yard, there was this dandelion puff just begging me to grab my camera and head out to catch it in the late afternoon light.  I feel like it might have been a Divine Invitation to discover some benefit from being grounded from gardening for the past month.



See, one of my favorite ways to relax involves walking around my garden.  It may start with a cup of tea, but it usually ends with at least a small pile of uprooted villains who've invaded the soil since the last inspection.  I also look forward to intentional days set aside to don the duds and grab every tool in my bucket.  When I'm wearing a sun hat, Steve knows I've morphed into Conan the Agrarian.  My kind husband appears occasionally to offer water or food, because he knows I'm too immersed to stop or be sensible.

But lately, just walking out and wandering around is a taunting reminder of what I can't do.
 
Before my eye doctor ordered me to avoid bending, stooping, or lifting anything over 5 pounds, I would have snatched imposters out by the roots as soon as they poked their little green leaves from the mulch.  It's Spring in Texas, for goodness sake!  In the past 4 weeks, everything (for good or evil) in the garden has been growing, well--like a weed.  Rogue Bermuda grass competes with maddening shoots of nut grass for domination.  Clumpy clovers and lanky dandelions bloom and procreate all over the place.  I can almost hear their teasing echoes--"Hey, Garden Lady!  I'm here, and there's not a thing you can do about it!"  Yikes.

But yesterday, that dandelion was beckoning, just like a neon sign.  Yep, a Divine Invitation for sure.  If, for a time, I'm unable to bend or stoop, at least I can enjoy the intricacies of God's creation.  Even if it is a weed.
 
Everything has its own time,
and there is a specific time for every activity under heaven:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to pull out what was planted.
 
It is beautiful how God has done everything at the right time.
He has put a sense of eternity in people's minds.
                                                   Ecclesiastes 3:1-2, 11a







 
   Thanks for the invitation, God.

No comments:

Post a Comment