Thursday, July 15, 2010

how firm a foundation

This morning when I looked out our front windows I could see the boom that's used to deliver concrete on a pour site. The site is First Baptist Church Chappell Hill's new multipurpose building about 1/4 mile south of our house. It's a sign that I wasn't sure I'd ever see. What a thrill!

See, over the last 10 of the 15 years that we've been here, Steve & I have been dreaming--along with others in the church--of a facility that could serve the community more fully. After a master planner volunteered to map out the entire 16-acre site for phased development, a 3-year fund-raising campaign was completed. Steve and the planning team found an architect to develop the drawings for a Phase 1 multipurpose building. The team has met, discussed, researched, followed through, developed a budget, communicated. Mostly, we've prayed.

And now, after 10 years, this day has come.

I wish I could say that the road was clear and smooth to this destination. But it has been bumpy at best. I made mistakes, and lots of them. Often my patience wore so thin; my judgemental attitudes threatened to tear holes in the weakened fabric of my faith. Some discussions with nay-sayers reduced me to tears. I grieved that disagreements turned to murmuring discord. Some people pulled up stakes and left. I often sat in planning meetings with the question plastered in bold capital font across my mind: how can we possibly accomplish this?! The task loomed very large indeed. Then the Lord would remind me that it was His job to accomplish--not mine.

And so, along with red iron, electrical lines, and plumbing pipes, there is joy and hope and gratitude in this foundation. Joy for a 'concrete' statement of the intent to move forward. Hope for what God will do with the dream that I believe God has given the leaders of this little country church. And gratitude to my Lord God, Who gently teaches me that He is my firm foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment