Sunday, October 6, 2013

I. Love. Fall !

Last night the first 'genuine' cool front pushed through southeast Texas all the way to us.  I know the Midwest is absolutely buried under many feet of snow, and the leaves have been showing off in the East for weeks now.  So y'all can join my family in Switzerland to laugh derisively at my idea of a cool front.  But celebrate with me that yesterday's summer heat and humidity have given way to early morning rain, deep blue skies from the north, and very pleasant temps minus humidity.

Hooray!  I.  Love.  Fall.

Welcome to our home,
now that Fall has arrived.
 


Our mantel

Announcing the season in a big way.
I used Modge Podge to attach decorative paper to wood letters,
in this adapted Pinterest project.

This vine apple joins a real pumpkin and drying hydrangeas in a hammered copper vase.


Two dried gourds from past Falls keep company with
a beautifully etched, stained, and polished gourd.
See the roadrunner?
(I bought the gourd from Wayne Hesterly--a Washington County TX artisan.
He used the funds to restore the Masonic Cemetery in Chappell Hill.)
 I love the colors and the textures and the smell of the air.
Wooden bowl (a gift from Brazil) holds lots of collected treasures--
leaves, feathers, nuts, wheat, pinecones, and twig balls.
There's also a shiny slab of copper; hub found it as a young rock hound.

Old birch candles,  leaves, and mums shout autumn.

 I love the season when everything begins to slow down
and make preparations to fall asleep until spring comes.
Welcome, Fall!

Bless this home, Lord.
Carved, painted candlesticks were a gift
from my friend Jo on one of her trips to Mexico.

These treasures remind me of Chappell Hill.
The woven runner is a Scarecrow Festival find.
The deer antler was laying in our yard in Chappell Hill.
The wasp nest?  I sprayed it down after 3 of its inhabitants stung me.
When all was still, I cut that sucker out of the tree, branch and all!

 Autumn is a time of happy days that made great memories:
school with new adventures and friends;
cozy sweaters; football games; chili;
a breakfast club of deer in the yard;
migrating Monarchs and hummingbirds;
and cornbread dressing at family Thanksgiving celebrations.
 I. Love. Fall !
(Excuse me while I go outside to work in the garden
and wait to hear the geese fly overhead.)
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment