Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Seek and Find Too

Little Man and I had a great time at his apartment.  (What's new about that? you may ask with a yawn.)  He changes and grows from one visit to the next, and it's all just so fascinating to this GiGi.  This time, we actually played real games together. We danced and jammed out to music. When D practiced 1-2-3 All Fall Down, I sat on the floor and 'fell down' every time too. But the best game was Hide and Seek--or what I call Seek and Find.

Daniel explained our new game here but here's GiGi's take.

You know that time of day with little kids: end of the day, everyone hungry, all social skills expired?  Ah, yes--The Arsenic Hour. When my two were young, everybody under the age of 7 was required to get in the bathtub under penalty of being "snatched bald-headed," as my mother would have said. With their aqua therapy, we survived until Dad got home from work and supper was on the table.  But I digress . . .

While Mamae cooked dinner, my buddy happily engaged me in the practice of door-opening and -closing. At 20 months, Short Stuff is tall enough to operate lever handles flat-footed. What fun to control when to open and shut the door on GiGi. At first it was Knock Knock! Who's There? Then I disappeared from my side of the door before Lever Master answered.

I moved to a corner of the living room, and tried to shape-shift into a cabinet; but stayed in plain view because I wanted to be found. Daniel called my name, opened the bedroom door, and started searching. After both Mamae and HeyYea feigned cluelessness, D scanned the room and found me.  It was a thrilling moment; all giggles and squeals. Come to think  of it, Daniel was pretty excited too.  ;~D

The game continued over and over. Little Man ran back to the bedroom, closing the door. I tiptoed to a new 'hiding place' and froze until my buddy called my name, searched, spied me, and ran to my arms.

This morning I was reading in a book written by a man named Jeremiah. Here's what I read:
When you search for Me, you will find Me;
when you search whole-heartedly for Me, I shall let you find Me,
Yahweh declares.     Jeremiah 29:13-14a
God's people had turned their backs on the One True God. They had shut the door in His face--rebelled against God and worshipped false gods. For hundreds of years, God tried calling them back. He 'knocked' but the people kept refusing, rebelling; so He withdrew from them for a time. Even while He disciplined His rebellious children, God sent encouraging messages to them through Jeremiah: you will find Me when you search for Me.

I'm blown away by the promise God made. "When you search whole-heartedly for Me, I shall let you find Me."

BTW--my Hide and Seek analogy fails on so many levels, I know.
    God does not randomly run away and hide from His children.
    • God separates Himself from His children only when they continually choose to rebel and refuse because
    • God is holy, righteous, and just; and
    • God cannot tolerate sin.
    • God shows His love for His children, even when He disciplines them because
    • God is patient, loving, merciful and faithful.
But here's the deal. The truth is that God says He will let me find Him when I search for Him with my whole heart.

My young grandson chose to shut the door. When I knocked, he chose not to open the door. When I separated myself from him, I wanted him to find me. Little Man kept searching until he found me,  and our reunion was full of joy and love.

It's been true in my life as well. So many times I've shut God out with misplaced priorities for my time or my rebellious, independent will. He speaks to my heart. I barrel on through my days--weeks--months. Then I realize: in all the independent choices and activity, I'm bored and lonely. Life is out of balance. "Hey, where's God?"

The One True God does not play Hide and Seek with me. Like any loving father, Abba God disciplines and trains His child. And still!  God pauses, in plain sight, just waiting to be found.

Seek and Find. He will let me find Him when I seek with my whole heart focused on God. What an amazing promise.

But then, isn't that just like God . . .

He promises "when you search wholeheartedly for Me, I shall let you find Me ." Seek and Find.

I believe this. Do you?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment